Country: Federal Government of Somalia
Name of the Project: Somali Urban Investment & Planning Project Additional Financing (SUIPP AF) Consulting Service: Project Financial Management Specialist
Duty Station: Baidoa-Somalia
Publication Date: 9th March , 2019
Deadline: 23rd March, 2019 Ref No. SO-BM-102229-CS-INDV
I. Project Background
The World Bank has been supporting the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) with funding from the Somali Multi-Partner Fund (MPF) to implement various projects. The Somalia Urban Investment Planning Project (SUIPP), which was a Project to prepare a Project – the Somalia Urban Resilience Project (SURP), has been ongoing since early 2016 and has completed preparation of feasibility studies and preliminary designs for civil works for urban and community roads in Mogadishu, urban roads in Garowe and solid and liquid waste management facility in Hargeisa. Implementation of designed works will depend on funding available. Presently, MPF is funding construction of community roads in Mogadishu and urban roads in Garowe.
2. The MPF has received an additional funding of US$3million from the German Government to specifically address urban resilience in Kismayo in Jubaland State and Baidoa in South West State. SUIPP Additional Financing (AF) will be expanding the ongoing SUIPP to address urban resilience in Kisamayo and Baidoa. The FGS has prioritized Kismayo and Baidoa which are strategically important secondary cities
SOUTHWEST STATE OF SOMALIA
Baidoa Local Government Office of the Mayor
that contribute to Somalia’s sustainable growth and which of recent past received a large number of
internally displaced persons and returnees due to prolonged drought in Somalia and the closure of some
refugee camps in Kenya.
3. The SUIPP AF will focus on urban roads in Kismayo and Baidoa Municipality. The SUIPP AF will provide the technical basis – through the outputs of feasibility studies, preliminary and detailed engineering designs, safeguard instruments as well as bidding documents for the urban roads – for a follow-on investment project. This follow-on project, the Somalia Urban Resilience Project (SURP) II, will
utilize the SUIPP AF output – final Detailed Designs, bidding documents and safeguard instruments for the selected urban roads. Funding has been secured in the MPF for the follow-on SURP for capacity building and financing the priority urban roads for both Cities. The contracts that will be awarded, and the roads constructed will ultimately improve the quality of life; while at the same time providing for some
employment to the communities through the contracting of Works. SUIPP AF will also support the development of safeguard instruments including the Environmental and Social Management Framework and the Resettlement Policy Framework.
The Office of the Mayor, Baidoa Local government is seeking to use a portion of the SUIPP AF to finance the recruitment of Environment/ Social Safeguard Specialist.
The objective of the assignment is for the SUIPP-AF Financial Specialist (FS) to perform all necessary financial management (FM) activities under SUIPP-AF for the period of the assignment. The FS will work in close coordination with the South West External Assistance Fiduciary Section (EAFS) within the South
West Ministry of Finance, Office of the Accountant General. The FS will manage the financial
management activities of the project in strict compliance with: (i) EAFS Manual (ii) the requirements of the Agreement between the World Bank and the Government; (iii) Project Appraisal Document (PAD); (iv) the Project Implementation Manual (PIM) for this project which is based on appropriate financial management best practice and international accounting standards. ; S/he will undertake all the other
specific tasks detailed in the Terms of Reference (TOR) that will be provided upon submission of application (in person or by E-mail).
Period of Performance The SUIPP-AF Project began on 16th January 2019 and is expected to close by 31 December 2021.
The SS contract will be for approximately 12 months with possible extension should SUIPP AF implementation be delayed. Also, the implementation of SURP II is planned and the SS contract is eligible for possible extension.
4) Selection Criteria: The selection shall be based on qualification, experience and skills of the candidate and followed by an interview. The qualifications, experience and competencies include:
• Master’s Degree in accounting, finance or business administration (accounting);
• Registered Professional qualification in financial management course that leads to attain
financial management qualification from recognized professional body e.g ACCA, CIPFA,
IPFM, CPA etc.
• At least 3 years of experience in audit or financial management;
• Preferably at least 2 years of post-qualification experience in financial management directly relevant to public sector, local authority and/or international development organization ;
• Understand well the local dynamics
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English, to deliver technical financial
documents, and reports; candidates familiar with Somali language will have an added
• Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Office tools (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and
Internet use, including database use is required
The key deliverables of the Project Financial Management Specialist will be as follows:
a) Within the first two weeks of the contract and in full consultation with the Project Coordinator,
prepare a clear work plan on financial management and disbursements and share with the
implementing entities and the World Bank;
b) Report regularly to the PCU, implementing entities and to the Bank on key issues affecting the operations of the project financial activities;
c) Support preparation of monthly and quarterly Interim unaudited Financial Reports (IFRs) which will be submitted to the PCU and the World Bank not later than 45 days after the end of the month or quarter to which the report relates;
d) Support the preparation of Annual Financial Statements for financed projects, within two (2) months
after the end of the fiscal year to which they relate. These Annual Financial Statements to be submitted must be ready for audit.
The Office of the Mayor, Baidoa Local government now invites eligible Individual Consultants to indicate their interest in providing the above-mentioned services. Interested consultants must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the Services and furnish the Curriculum Vitae (CV).
5. SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to section III, para 3.14,3.16 & 3.17 of the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers: Procurement in Investment Projects Financing Goods, Works,
Non -Consulting and Consulting Services, July 2016, revised November 2017 and August 2018 (“Procurement Regulations”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultant method set out in the World Bank Procurement Regulations.
Interested applicants may obtain further information including a detailed Terms of Reference from the Office of the Mayor in person or by e-mail to the address given below during office hours from 9.00 a.m.– 4.00 p.m. Saturday to Thursday.
Deadline: Expressions of interest and CV must be delivered to the address below by hand, mail, courier or email on or before 23rd March, 2019 at 16:00 hours.
Attention; Office of the Mayor
SUIPP AF Project-Baidoa Local Government
South West State of Somalia,
Division Road, Baidoa, Somalia
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org