I. Project Background
The World Bank has been supporting the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) with funding from the Somali Multi-Partner Fund (MPF) to implement various projects. The Somalia Urban Investment Planning Project (SUIPP),
which was a Project to prepare a Project – the Somalia Urban Resilience Project (SURP),
has been ongoing since early 2016 and has completed preparation of feasibility studies and preliminary designs for civil works for urban and community roads in Mogadishu, urban roads in Garowe and solid and liquid waste management facility in Hargeisa. Implementation of designed works will depend on funding available. Presently, MPF is funding construction of community roads in Mogadishu and urban
roads in Garowe.
2. The MPF has received an additional funding of US$3million from the German Government to specifically address urban resilience in Kismayo in Jubaland State and Baidoa in South West State. SUIPP Additional Financing (AF) will be expanding the ongoing SUIPP to address urban resilience in Kisamayo and Baidoa. The FGS has prioritized Kismayo and Baidoa which are strategically important secondary cities
SOUTHWEST STATE OF SOMALIA
Baidoa Local Government
Office of the Mayor that contribute to Somalia’s sustainable growth and which of recent past received a large number of internally displaced persons and returnees due to prolonged drought in Somalia and the closure of some
refugee camps in Kenya.
3. The SUIPP AF will focus on urban roads in Kismayo and Baidoa Municipality. The SUIPP AF will provide the technical basis – through the outputs of feasibility studies, preliminary and detailed engineering designs, safeguard instruments as well as bidding documents for the urban roads – for a follow-on investment project. This follow-on project, the Somalia Urban Resilience Project (SURP) II, will utilize the SUIPP AF output – final Detailed Designs, bidding documents and safeguard instruments for the selected urban roads. Funding has been secured in the MPF for the follow-on SURP for capacity building and financing the priority urban roads for both Cities. The contracts that will be awarded, and the roads
constructed will ultimately improve the quality of life; while at the same time providing for some employment to the communities through the contracting of Works. SUIPP AF will also support the development of safeguard instruments including the Environmental and Social Management Framework and the Resettlement Policy Framework.
The Office of the Mayor, Baidoa Local government is seeking to use a portion of the SUIPP AF to finance the recruitment of Environment/ Social Safeguard Specialist.
2). Responsibilities As part of the SURP II preparation, the safeguard specialist will provide assistance and support so that the various safeguard instruments generated by the Project to meet all applicable requirements of the Bank’s and FGS safeguard policies. Assist the PIUs as needed with safeguard aspects of the preparation of SURP II activities in Baidoa and prepare the initial screening checklist for safeguards policies; Advise South West
State on World Bank Safeguard policy requirements, preliminary EA category and which safeguard policies are likely to be triggered by a specific subprojects; Provide advice, guidance, example documents and inputs for draft TOR and for the preparation of the required safeguard instrument(s), such as EIA, RAP, or other; Facilitate the timely review of, and comment on, all draft environmental and social reports prepared by external consultants as needed upon request from IAs; Manage the safeguard review and
assessment work plan of the SURP preparation/management team to ensure timely review, approval and implementation of sub-projects. Summaries of the safeguards reviews and findings will be provided to the Project Coordinator; S/he will undertake all the other specific tasks detailed in the Terms of Reference.
(TOR) that will be provided upon submission of application (in person or by E-mail).
3). Period of Performance The SUIPP-AF Project began on 16th January 2019 and is expected to close by 31 December 2021. The SS contract will be for approximately 12 months with possible extension should SUIPP AF implementation be delayed. Also, the implementation of SURP II is planned and the SS contract is eligible for possible
4) Selection Criteria: The selection shall be based on qualification, experience and skills of the candidate and followed by an interview. The qualifications, experience and competencies include:
1. Advanced degree preferably in Environment, Social Science, Engineering, or related field, 2. 3 years’ experience in national and international project development and implementation. Experience in Somalia is required together with dealing with Safeguard aspects in significant project development work on municipal services, transport and investment in infrastructure services,
3. Proven ability to advise and support project safeguard assessment and preparation, contractual and financial elements of development project delivery, and experience of all stages of investment program identification, specific technical sector program design and documentation, and implementation experience,
4. Ability to develop and maintain effective interaction with high level government officials, project management offices and implementing agency officers, and international and national consultants,
5. Good knowledge and working experience of the full range of World Bank Group’s operational products and Safeguards procedures, FGS legal and safeguards systems, and Operational Procedures;
6. Excellent interpersonal, writing, and communication skills, ability to work in English and Somali is essential.
7. Knowledge of local dynamics is an advantage The Office of the Mayor, Baidoa Local government now invites eligible Individual Consultants to indicate their interest in providing the above-mentioned services. Interested consultants must provide information
indicating that they are qualified to perform the Services and furnish the Curriculum Vitae (CV).
5. SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to section III, para 3.14,3.16 & 3.17 of the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers: Procurement in Investment Projects Financing Goods, Works,
Non -Consulting and Consulting Services, July 2016, revised November 2017 and August 2018 (“Procurement Regulations”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultant method set out in the World Bank Procurement Regulations. Interested applicants may obtain further information including a detailed Terms of Reference from the
Office of the Mayor in person or by e-mail to the address given below during office hours from 9.00 a.m.– 4.00 p.m. Saturday to Thursday.
Deadline: Expressions of interest and CV must be delivered to the address below by hand, mail, courier or email on or before 17
th March, 2019 at 16:00 hours.
Attention; Office of the Mayor
SUIPP AF Project-Baidoa Local Government
South West State of Somalia, Division Road, Baidoa, Somalia
Email Address: email@example.com